From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Shorten, Jay
Sent: Thursday, October 09, 2014 8:31 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: 377 field

If someone translates from French to English, should the 377 field of the authority record read eng $a fre ? Or what if that person writes about the French language, but not necessarily in the French language? Is 377 used for this, or is it only for languages the person has expressed themselves in (written, sung, filmed, etc.)?

Jay Shorten

Cataloger, Monographs and Electronic Resources

Associate Professor of Bibliography

Catalog Department

University Libraries

University of Oklahoma

Co-owner, PERSNAME-L, the list about personal names in bibliographic and authority records