One thought on this. I'm not sure about all the related RDA and FRBR principles, but I do think "Selections" is questionable as a work because it's usually not something "selected" by the author but something that later editors or publishers think readers might want. "Poems. Selections. 2013" is just a kind of artificial way to link the work of that person to a particular publication.

I imagine that sometimes an author does create "selections" of his own work during his lifetime.

"Poems. Selections. 2013" may be useful for catalogs, but I wouldn't call it a work. Or even "Poems. Selections." Now, "Poems" seems to qualify as one, since the assumption seems to be that it includes all the person's poems.
Ted Gemberling

From: Ian Fairclough [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, October 09, 2014 1:22 PM
To: PCCLIST ([log in to unmask])
Cc: Ian Fairclough; Ian Fairclough gmail ([log in to unmask]); Ted P Gemberling; Pete Wilson
Subject: use of field 240

PCCLIST readers,

In response to my earlier posts, Ted Gemberling said: "Let's say we used just the more specific 700, with the Expression date. Why would that be better than using the 240?"

Also, Pete Wilson said: "But I don't think I have seen any suggestion that a work AAP and an expression AAP based on that work could, or should, both be included in a bib record for a manifestation containing just that one expression.  Why do you want to do that?"

Perhaps other readers can address these issues.  I have more to say, but what follows would likely take a slightly different direction.

And to provide a "course correction" to remedy the defects that Pete identifies, namely --

"Most importantly, I don't believe this:
Edwards, Jonathan, $d 1703-1758. $t Works. $k Selections. $f 2013
is an expression of:
Edwards, Jonathan, $d 1703-1758. $t Works. $k Selections"

-- I'd also appreciate other perspectives.  How would you best individuate the particular work that comprises this specific anthology of writings?

Sincerely - Ian

Ian Fairclough
George Mason University
703-993-2938