Bob's case against using dates in generic (or "generic") expression
authorities makes sense, too, and agrees with the recommendation of the PCC
Access Points for Expressions Task Group. There's still an ambiguity,
though--when the title looks generic and the 046 contains a specific date,
which data element determines the AAP's intended scope? Does the AAP look
generic? Page 9 of the task group report comments, "Usually, then, these
special fields [e.g., 046] would only apply when those same elements are
also included as additions to the access point."  So maybe these are cases
where the 046 was applied in error and the generic intent of the record is
more evident from the AAP.

In practical terms, given that the authorities have been posted for some
time and may have been used to control bib AAPs, I'd be reluctant to
resolve the ambiguity in the authorities by adding a date (per the task
group recommendation) to the AAP, since the unspecified AAP form may have
been used generically to control other expressions.  It would be safer to
remove the 046, let the existing authority stand as generic, and create a
new authority with more thorough specificity if needed.

Stephen

--
Stephen Hearn, Metadata Strategist
University of Minnesota