Hi Glenn,
I'm sure it was my comments that precipitated some of this discussion, and I'm disappointed to hear that a local OCLC authority file does not exist, but heartened to hear that it's not an impossibility.   My view is that OCLC is sitting on the mother lode of names and if that database were mechanically mined to create at least a minimal record (clearly labelled) it would be a veritable boon, sure it would have all sorts of bad information but I think the good information garnered and just the fact that it was available to mine would be a great help, especially if it were then made part of VIAF for all to consult.
 I understand the pitfalls and know that the logistics may be a minefield but if we're looking to expand the name game, this may be a place to start.  Absolutely, the cost of some level of training would be a factor and perhaps here's where the PCC could play a role.  Training is the PCC's strong suite and while previously it's been tied to PCC membership, perhaps it could be broadened (since we're broadening things) to include the non-NACO community, especially since the resident expertise for creating and maintaining authorities does live within PCC.  I'm just throwing things out and looking forward to the discussions in November.   Cheers,
Ana

From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Patton,Glenn
Sent: Wednesday, October 08, 2014 4:50 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCCTG1] Strategic Topic: Broader participation in authority creation

Some comments in response to other messages in this thread:

OCLC does not have a local authority file to supplement the LC/NACO file.  We've talked about moving in that direction several times over the years.  Mostly recently it has resurfaced in the context of WorldShare Management Services and the use of WorldCat as the institution's catalog.  That brings with it, even for smaller institutions, the need for some additional authority records.  We have also talked a bit about trying to organize NACO funnel projects to cover this need but haven't been able to figure out how to staff such an effort.

Any of these possibilities would require development, which would have to be prioritized.  We'll be starting the process to plan for FY16 projects in mid-November so it's good that we're having this discussion before then.

One additional comment from my personal perspective:  in my experience, putting something in a separate files only works if one can clearly define the contents of the file in a way that the potential user of the file knows "when I should search here".  I don't think describing an authority file as containing "other authority records that are not part of the NACO file for various reasons" would be that kind of clear definition.

--Glenn

Glenn E. Patton
Director, WorldCat Quality Management
OCLC
6565 Kilgour Place
Dublin  OH  43017-3395
Phone: +1.800.848.5878, ext. 6371 or +1.614.764.6371