> What do you do to avoid perspective distortion (non-squareness)? It seems
>> like, for a poster, you'd
>>
> have to have the camera up so high that there would be some shadowing or
> reflection in a poster with
> any gloss to it.

It is only used for small posters usually they are a little larger than a
record cover, and generally printed on a card stock for display in store
windows. The one time I copied a full size movie poster I had a
professional photographer friend do it and we pinned the poster to a blank
wall. Not very high tech but it worked.

My wife had suggested something similar to what I think you are saying,
> using a tripod and spreading
> the document out on our deck, holding the corners down with weights. The
> problem is, no matter where
> I put the tripod, there was perspective distortion because the lens wasn't
> centered over the center
> of the document.

Try pinning it to a wall so the camera can shoot straight on, as long as
there is not a big wind that day.

That is the main advantage for a photo stand, centering the camera over the
> image.

The camera stand will hold the camera steady and so you save time on
focusing etc.

Large screen scanners cost way too much these days and are getting harder
to find, if you have a good scanner and its hooked up to an older computer
that works, network it and keep it in operation.

I remember a friend that works at a military base and he was required by
the IT folks to change out his computer and the large scanner software
would not run on the "upgraded" computer. I retired with 32 years in
computers. Be skeptical when IT people (yes I was one of them) tell you its
an "upgrade" as normally you lose some functionality with every
"upgrade"... they just don't tell you what. Ask questions.

Paul Urbahns
Radcliff, Ky