I'm aware that I'm an old guy now and when I say I believe that the art/science of capturing the sound of a symphony orchestra hasn't advanced in over 50 years, I usually see knowing nods from much younger listeners who think that I'm just nostalgically attached to ancient technology.  But then I prove my point, usually by pulling out the SACD Mercury Living Presence recording of the Light Cavalry Overture or the Poet and Peasant Overture and play it on my fairly high quality sound system.  Well to add to that, I would invite anybody who believes there has been any improvement in over 50 years to listen to Reiner's recording of "The Pines of Rome".  I don't know the date on this but Reiner has been dead for over 50 years.  I would say it is not possible to get a more realistic orchestral sound on a recording.  The organ is very richly captured and the crescendo at the end is breathtaking - no overloading, no distortion, the sound just keeps getting
 louder long after you think it has hit the peak.  Now I'm only talking here about capturing the sound with mikes, of course the medium has improved since then, measurably if not audibly.

db