Maurice,

Thanks to you and the others who have chimed in so far. I am on the right
now road and so I apologize for a lag in responding to some good input.

I definitely do not have any interest in developing a totally new system if
there are already viable options. In fact I hope that was clear in my
initial post. I do have some issues with what I feel are limitations with
the current common modes of cataloging (mostly in the area of being able to
isolate specific performers and works within an overall recording) but am
more interested in using or adapting what already exists than in starting
from scratch. I am not sure what your specific recommendation is but I will
spend some time following the link in your message and would be happy for
any further input.

Once again, thanks to all,

Peter Hirsch