> I do use a digital camera for photographing album covers, and large
> posters, etc but I admit that I take pictures outside on cloudy days. No
> artificial light or refection issues that way.

Hi Paul:

What do you do to avoid perspective distortion (non-squareness)? It seems like, for a poster, you'd
have to have the camera up so high that there would be some shadowing or reflection in a poster with
any gloss to it.

I would like to know more about this method because I have some large-scale schematics I'd love to
digitize in some other way than trying to tile together 12x18 segments.

My wife had suggested something similar to what I think you are saying, using a tripod and spreading
the document out on our deck, holding the corners down with weights. The problem is, no matter where
I put the tripod, there was perspective distortion because the lens wasn't centered over the center
of the document. That is the main advantage for a photo stand, centering the camera over the image.

I wonder if it's possible to rig up a mechanism whereby a digital camera "flies" over large
documents like posters or schematics and uses built-in panorama software to stitch the segments
together? The segments should stitch easily due to rigging a mechanism where the camera is kept at a
static height and static vertical angle to the document, moving on a controlled horizontal path.

-- Tom Fine