The downfall of all these database programs is where they're pulling information. The more I think
about it, the more sense I see in Peter's idea of using MARC data. At least MARC aheres to
relatively strict conventions. They may be klunky, but they're designed to be consistent.

As one who has filled in tags for 150+ classical CDs, trying both iTunes (Gracenote) and dBPowerAmp
(which draws on a number of sources including freedb, Allmusic and others), there is ZERO
consistency out there. The same conductor and orchestra may be listed differently for each album,
even on the same label. Composer names are screwy and sometimes just wrong. A lot of data,
especially for DGG and EMI CDs, is in German (useless to an English speaker who wants an English
database). The whole experience was infuriating, and in fact convinced me it wasn't worth my time to
suck all my CDs into a hard drive library. The worst of all this is that Gracenote is a FOR PROFIT
company and they have never lifted a finger to clean up their database from its dark early
"crowdsourced" days. You can expect crowd-source cluster-you-know-what from freedb, but a real
"company" should value their brand more. Apparently, customers who pay license fees, like Apple,
don't pressure them hard enough.

Even though MARC's naming conventions may not be near what I would think of, I assume the same
conductor and orchestra show up under the same names in every entry. If not, that's terrible!

From Day 1, record companies could have kept all of this consistent and uniform by using the CDText
layer always in Red Book, and getting together on standardized naming conventions, perhaps under an
ISO standard. This would have required a few extra minutes per CD to enter the data, but it should
have been standard practice all along. Instead, a lazy attitude by everyone who could control a
standard led to crowd-sourced inconsistent garbage.

-- Tom Fine