From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of John Haley
Sent: Monday, November 03, 2014 12:32 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] "UK opens access to 91 million Orphan Works"

Thanks very much for posting that, Stephen.  What a totally enlightened, simple good idea that is.  Orphaned works still under copyright can be licensed for a fee (hopefully a small one) by the government, and then if someone comes forward claiming ownership (which as we know from ARSC research, is never going to happen 99.99% of the time), that person's rights can be established and acknowledged, and payment duly made.  I presume that this person claiming ownership must provide adequate proof.
Simple, fair and elegant.  A "win" for everyone, including most of all the public.

This system shows such decency and good sense that it probably has no chance of being considered in a country such as ours (US), where obfuscation and deliberate confusion of all copyright law seems to be our national goals.  What is currently going on in US state courts with the active creation of new state copyright law for pre-1972 recordings that are not covered by federal copyright law, spurred on by New York's making up new state law some years back in the EMI v. Naxos case (in which "new"
precedents are cut from whole cloth), is truly insane, exacerbating an already hopeless crazy quilt of wildly various state law.  ARSC has been the only bright light on the horizon in offering real solutions.  It becomes obvious that there are heavily vested businesses and institutions that prefer things the way they are.

Regards,
John Haley