Since you are interested in MARC, be aware that any investment you make now
in a database that is MARC based may need additional investment if/when
BibFrame is implemented as a replacement for MARC.

http://www.loc.gov/bibframe/

See the AV Modeling Study
<http://www.loc.gov/bibframe/pdf/bibframe-avmodelingstudy-may15-2014.pdf>
released this past year. It explores the relationships you mention between
varying performers and performances on one album. You can also play with
filling in fields they have proposed in their testbed editor
<http://bibframe.org/tools/editor/>.

There are other options as well, such as PBCore <http://pbcore.org/>. They
just held a How-to <http://vimeo.com/109940772> webinar about a month ago
which is available online.

You may also consider contacting the ARSC Cataloging Committee
<http://www.arsc-audio.org/committees/cataloging-committee.html>.

Best, Carla Arton