Tom,

Yes, consistency which is maintained by authority control (in
library-speak) is absolutely essential and no decent system can function
without it. That is why I prefer to use MARC records created under the
cataloging rules generally accepted by libraries. I believe, though, that
once I find software that enables me to download these records from Library
of Congress, OCLC or wherever, I will still need to tweak them to get the
full depth of access to all (recorded work, all individuals involved in
performing and recording to whatever degree this is discoverable)
information attached to each recorded unit (I hate using the term track,
but that is roughly what I mean here) level.

All this discussion has been very useful so far and I hope to explore as
many of the avenues mentioned as possible.

Thanks,

Peter Hirsch