> To provide information about the resource in its own context, rather
> than relying on the property referencing it from another resource to
> imply additional information about it.
>
> For example:
>
> <w> a Work ;
>   bf:issn <i> .
>
> <i> a Identifier ;
>   rdf:value "1234567890" .
>
> If I dereference <i>, I have no idea that the resource is an ISSN.
>
> Thus we need to include that information associated with the
> resource.  That leads to identifierScheme ... which is a URI.
> So now we have:
>
> <i> a Identifier ;
>   scheme <http://.../issn/> ;
>   value "1234567890" .
> But an ISSN is a *type* of Identifier, and redundant with the class
> bf:Identifier.  There can be no resource which has a scheme of <issn>
> which is not an Issn Identifier.
>
> Thus we simplify the model to:
>
> <i> a IssnIdentifier ;
>   value "1234567890" .
>
> QED?

Thanks, Rob. I do see what you are intending here. From this, I assume
that a reason for using subclassing rather than domains is that the
effort to infer that Issnidentifier is a sub-class of bf:Identifier is
less than (or different from) the effort to infer that same information
based on a property with a domain. Is that the case?

>     Do we anticipate particular searches that make use of them?
>

> How about, off the top of my head:
> * Associate a prefLabel with each of the classes for display.
> * Provide additional linking or information based on the class
> * Provide styling or ordering based on the class, due to local preferences
> * Do validation on the value to ensure that it's a legal instance of a
> <class> value
> * etc.

It seems, however, that any of the above could also apply to a
property/sub-property relationship. Say in the case of wanting to
display the label for IssnIdentifier as "Identifier" or "ISSN" - how
does this differ from using the rdf:label (or skos:preflabel) for a
property in the ontology? or all sub-properties of a property?

BTW, ordering based on the class and ordering of properties are among
the requirements for the validation work being done at DC, as is value
checking. The SPIN and ICV validations are "class-based" in that the
class provides the link between the validation rules and the instance
data. Other solutions, like resource shapes and shape expressions, are
not fixed on types but on graphs. It's two different ways to look at the
problem, and the work is in its early stages so a comparison of
capabilities has not yet been done.

I'm not sure what you mean by "a legal instance of a class value" - how
do classes have values? I'm only aware of value definitions related to
the property range. If you have a class definition that shows this, such
an example would really help.

> Disagree. For example:
> https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/ld4l/LD4L+Use+Cases

Ah. I was talking about the BIBFRAME process that this list is
supposedly a discussion list for. I like those use cases and it would be
great if you could get them added to the BIBFRAME use cases.

>     Without answers to these questions, I don't see how we can
>     evaluate BIBFRAME as it exists today. If we don't know what needs
>     it is responding to, how can we know if it meets any needs at all?
>     This is system development 101, folks. I'm not asking anything out
>     of the norm.
>

> Agreed... how about you start a thread to gather use cases, starting
> with some of your own? :)

Rob, if you mean use cases for BIBFRAME... if LC both wants them and is
willing to consider them, that would be a great idea. Let's see if this
prompts that.

However, a different site that isn't limited to BIBFRAME would be a
really great idea. I started something like that about a decade ago, but
I think it was too soon. Is there a way that your project could open up
a section to gathering of use cases from the community? We could also
link from the validation use cases that DC and W3C are gathering, and
see where we have overlaps. Or is there some third-party neutral site
where we could do this?

kc

--
Karen Coyle