Tim, I think this is a question worth asking. We can't answer the
question unless we have some idea of what we want to do with the data.
So using your subtitle example, in what situation do you have to know
the difference between a title and a subtitle? (I once had a use case
for that: in record merging in a union catalog, where the recording of
sub-titles wasn't consistent; we could compare titles and
titles+subtitles separately. Don't know if this still is needed, tho'.)

Like you, I feel like not all notes are equal - aspect ratio,
cartographic ascension and declination, dissertation institution ....
etc. If it's worth providing this information, it's worth providing it
in a way that you can do something with it other than display it on a
screen.

General notes, tables of contents, and descriptions, btw, could be
treated as annotations (in the sense of Open Annotation [1]) and
therefore the annotation type could be part of the annotation. Some time
back (about a year ago?) BF was aligning with OA, but retreated from
that because OA was not allowing plain text annotations. I saw recently
that as they are going through the standards process, they may be
changing that rule. (Rob could confirm or deny, as he runs that group.)

kc
[1] http://www.w3.org/community/openannotation/

--
Karen Coyle