[log in to unmask]" type="cite">

To provide information about the resource in its own context, rather than relying on the property referencing it from another resource to imply additional information about it.

For example:

<w> a Work ;
  bf:issn <i> .

<i> a Identifier ;
  rdf:value "1234567890" .

If I dereference <i>, I have no idea that the resource is an ISSN.

Thus we need to include that information associated with the resource.  That leads to identifierScheme ... which is a URI.
So now we have:

<i> a Identifier ;
  scheme <http://.../issn/> ;
  value "1234567890" .
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">
But an ISSN is a *type* of Identifier, and redundant with the class bf:Identifier.  There can be no resource which has a scheme of <issn> which is not an Issn Identifier.

Thus we simplify the model to:

<i> a IssnIdentifier ;
  value "1234567890" .

QED?

Thanks, Rob. I do see what you are intending here. From this, I assume that a reason for using subclassing rather than domains is that the effort to infer that Issnidentifier is a sub-class of bf:Identifier is less than (or different from) the effort to infer that same information based on a property with a domain. Is that the case?

[log in to unmask]" type="cite">
Do we anticipate particular searches that make use of them?

How about, off the top of my head:
* Associate a prefLabel with each of the classes for display.
* Provide additional linking or information based on the class
* Provide styling or ordering based on the class, due to local preferences
* Do validation on the value to ensure that it's a legal instance of a <class> value
* etc.

It seems, however, that any of the above could also apply to a property/sub-property relationship. Say in the case of wanting to display the label for IssnIdentifier as "Identifier" or "ISSN" - how does this differ from using the rdf:label (or skos:preflabel) for a property in the ontology? or all sub-properties of a property?

BTW, ordering based on the class and ordering of properties are among the requirements for the validation work being done at DC, as is value checking. The SPIN and ICV validations are "class-based" in that the class provides the link between the validation rules and the instance data. Other solutions, like resource shapes and shape expressions, are not fixed on types but on graphs. It's two different ways to look at the problem, and the work is in its early stages so a comparison of capabilities has not yet been done.

I'm not sure what you mean by "a legal instance of a class value" - how do classes have values? I'm only aware of value definitions related to the property range. If you have a class definition that shows this, such an example would really help.
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">

Ah. I was talking about the BIBFRAME process that this list is supposedly a discussion list for. I like those use cases and it would be great if you could get them added to the BIBFRAME use cases.

[log in to unmask]" type="cite">

Without answers to these questions, I don't see how we can evaluate BIBFRAME as it exists today. If we don't know what needs it is responding to, how can we know if it meets any needs at all?
This is system development 101, folks. I'm not asking anything out of the norm.

Agreed... how about you start a thread to gather use cases, starting with some of your own? :)

Rob, if you mean use cases for BIBFRAME... if LC both wants them and is willing to consider them, that would be a great idea. Let's see if this prompts that.

However, a different site that isn't limited to BIBFRAME would be a really great idea. I started something like that about a decade ago, but I think it was too soon. Is there a way that your project could open up a section to gathering of use cases from the community? We could also link from the validation use cases that DC and W3C are gathering, and see where we have overlaps. Or is there some third-party neutral site where we could do this?

kc

--
Karen Coyle
[log in to unmask] http://kcoyle.net