It would seem to me that any replacement for MARC should first address the
needs of library catalogers and that consumption by outside constituencies
should be secondary. I certainly don’t see these goals as mutually
exclusive. But we need a platform to let our skill and expertise shine. If
we are hindered by a system that compromises what we do best, because of
perceived notions of what outsiders want, no one will want to come to our
party.

Will Evans

Chief Rare Materials Catalog Librarian

Library of the Boston Athenaeum