It would seem to me that any replacement for MARC should first address the needs of library catalogers and that consumption by outside constituencies should be secondary. I certainly don’t see these goals as mutually exclusive. But we need a platform to let our skill and expertise shine. If we are hindered by a system that compromises what we do best, because of perceived notions of what outsiders want, no one will want to come to our party.

Will Evans

Chief Rare Materials Catalog Librarian

Library of the Boston Athenaeum

10 1/2 Beacon Street