One of the reasons I like Schema.org<http://Schema.org> is that their properties are based on the probabilistic http://schema.org/domainIncludes and http://schema.org/rangeIncludes instead of the deterministic http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#domain and http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#range.

Set theory has its limits in a practical world.

Jeff

On Nov 5, 2014, at 7:12 PM, Simon Spero <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:

On Nov 5, 2014 6:12 PM, "Karen Coyle" <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:

> That's not quite what I said. You can infer class of the subject from properties, but cannot do the versa -- you cannot infer the class of a property from the class of the subject. Therefore where:
>
> bf:workTitle has domain bf:Title
>
> and
>

> :X a bf:Work
>       bf:workTitle[  a bf:Title  ;
>             bf:titleValue"Heart of Midlothian"  ]  .
>
> You do not infer that bf:workTitle has a class of bf:Work from :X. Note that this is a common confusion for folks coming from XML or OO, where class is inherited to properties.

I am not trying to be offensive; I really don't  understand what you mean by "class is inherited to properties" ;  could you possibly give an example in some object oriented language?

Simon