Hi Everyone -

Please join us for the next in our regular monthly series of free Department of the Interior Library Park Ranger Speaker Series lectures, entitled "A Pretty Team! - Rascality and Stupidity: Refighting Gettysburg" on Tuesday, November 18th from 1:00 - 1:45 pm in Stewart Lee Udall Department of the Interior Building's John Muir Room.

To what famous Civil War figures did contemporaries apply the words “rascality” and “stupidity” and for what reasons? Certainly, the battle actions around Gettysburg, Pennsylvania produced great bloodshed but they also generated an unabated, fierce storm of debate. Many historians rightly assert that veterans spilled more ink than blood defending Gettysburg. Washington, D.C. certainly played a huge role in that fight as Gettysburg figured prominently in the minds of political figures who sought answers as well as scapegoats. High-ranking Union general officers came to the nation’s capital to defend their actions and answer accusations of incompetence, cowardice and potential treason. Come listen to tales of rascality and stupidity as we demonstrate that Washington, D.C. always provided a stage for venom and vitriol.

We invite you to join Park Ranger Michael T. Kelly as he discusses the enduring struggle to interpret the Battle of Gettysburg—even after 150 years.

All that are interested are invited.  The John Muir Room is located in the basement level of the Stewart Lee Udall Department of the Interior Building, adjacent to and towards the back of the Interior Department cafeteria. The Stewart Lee Udall Department of the Interior Building is located at 1849 C Street, NW in Washington.  Space for the program is limited so please go to the following link to register:

https://docs.google.com/a/nbc.gov/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dGgtcWo5SGpfN3VNNVFobVNSTThyaXc6MQ#gid=0

Please also note that we will be offering WebEx webinar access for this program.  If you are interested in remote live access to this program, please send an e-mail to [log in to unmask].

You may contact the Library by phone at (202) 208-5815 or by e-mail at [log in to unmask] for more information about this program and/or directions.   For more information about DOI Library resources and services, please visit the DOI Library's website, located at http://www.doi.gov/library.

We hope you can join us in person or virtually on November 18th!

George Franchois
Director - U.S. Dept. of the Interior Library
Office of the Secretary - Office of Facilities and Administrative Services (OFAS)
1849 C Street, NW, Room 2262, MS 1151
Washington, DC 20240
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]
Phone: (202) 208-3796