From: Center for the Book state centers communication [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Rocco Staino
Sent: Monday, November 17, 2014 10:05 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: How about a Literary Landmark in DC Area for our May 7th Meeting

Hello All:

As you may remember I am spearheading a Children's Book Week initiative will United for Libraries where we will have 7 Literary Landmarks dedicated during Children's Book Week (May 4 - May 10).

I just realized that we all will be in DC on May 7&8.  It would be great if a Literary Landmark with a Children's Book connection could be dedicated while we are there.  Any ideas from our colleagues from DC, VA or MD?

I can guarantee an audience from around the country!

Oklahoma is the first of the 7.

Friends of Libraries in Oklahoma (FOLIO) accepts Rocco Staino’s challenge to nominate a Literary Landmark for a dedication to be held during Children’s Book Week! Author Harold Keith was born April 8, 1903 in Lambert, Oklahoma Territory. He penned fifteen books and is best known for Rifles for Watie, which won the Newbery Medal in 1958 and the Lewis Carroll Shelf Award in 1964. Rifles for Watie was based on oral history interviews with Civil War veterans that Keith did for his Master’s thesis at the University of Oklahoma.

See you all in May if not sooner.

Best,

Rocco

Nominate an exemplary DC Government Employee for The 14th Annual Cafritz Awards. Each of this year's five winners will be recognized with a $7,500 cash prize! The nomination deadline is Monday, November 24. Visit www.cafritzawards.org for more information.