I would have interpreted the original series authority differently. In a
numbering example, the captions are prescribed, but not the numbers. If
that's the case, then the series heading could be applied to any item which
bears the main title and follows the 642's "X. T., X. Abt, X. Bd." pattern
for its numbering, which encompasses several subseries evident in WorldCat.
The second original 670 for a different subseries seems in accord with this
interpretation. I agree that "3. Teil" and "3. Abt." should not have been
relegated to the series numbering, but they were never part of the series
AAP either, and never properly limited its scope.

In this case it would have been better to declare the main series
unnumbered, drop the 642 from its authority, and establish any more
specific series title with its numbered and named subseries specified in
the 130. To revise the existing series AAP as was done risks replacing any
controlled series access for volumes in other subseries with an AAP
belonging to just one of the subseries. That appears to have happened to
OCLC #2079663, which belongs to 1. Teil 6. Abt, but now shows 3. Teil ...
3. Abt. ... in its 830.

Stephen

--
Stephen Hearn, Metadata Strategist