I've informed our staff that I will start using the 667 for records to be
deleted, and that they may see them on other records as well.  I think it
might be nice to have some kind of standardized wording.  Something like
this perhaps?:

667  Record reported for deletion. Use instead: <LCCN of record to use>

The one other thing that I would like to raise is whether there is some
place else in the record where we can code the fact that the NAR is not to
be used, so that catalogers using OCLC's control headings feature would
not be able to control an access point that linked to the NAR about to be
deleted?  There are undoubtedly many catalogers that simply control
headings without actually viewing a name authority record.  If they don't
view it, they won't see the 667 note.  Is there some code we can add
(heck, we're already adding the 667 note now) that would prevent that NAR
from being used by the control software?  Maybe changing 008/14 (Name use)
from "a" to "b"?  Or 008/33 (Auth status) to "n"?

I realize that all of this would be optional, but if a cataloger wanted to
code the record as invalid in addition to the 667, may they?

Adam Schiff

* Adam L. Schiff                     *
* Principal Cataloger                *
* University of Washington Libraries *