From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Stephen Hearn
Sent: Monday, November 24, 2014 10:18 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Pseudo- name as variant access point to work

If the name Pseudo-Euripides were established to identify the author of the play Rhesus, would the play Rhesus still be entered under title?

Stephen

On Mon, Nov 24, 2014 at 9:41 AM, Moore, Richard <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:
Jay

NACO parameters include the following, that *almost* cover it:

“NACO libraries are not obligated to contribute all authorities generated by their cataloging or any one individual heading, except in the following cases: […]
2. All bodies referred through in cross references; e.g., if a heading is entered independently and a reference is given through a higher body, the higher body needs to be represented in the authority file as well, this may mean that the library will need to create an additional name authority in addition to the one the library needs to use in its catalog. […]
4. All headings under which uniform titles are entered; e.g., if an NAR for the uniform title Works is entered under an author who is not established in the LC/NAF, an NAR for the author must be contributed as well.”

http://www.loc.gov/aba/pcc/naco/parameters.html

There’s no specific provision for the name of an author that is used in a *variant* access point for a work, though this might just be because nobody thought of it. The principle would seem to be similar.

Regards
Richard

Richard Moore
Authority Control Team Manager
The British Library

Tel.: +44 (0)1937 546806<tel:%2B44%20%280%291937%20546806>