No, if Pseudo-Euripides is established as an entity it means that that entity is the creator of Rhesus, so the authorized access point for this play would be

Pseudo-Euripides. Rhesus.

I do quite a lot of work with “pseudo-“ classical authors and I’ve gone back and forth on them. I tend to establish “Pseudo-“ author names if people really do refer to them that way, but not if there’s just a dispute about authorship or the consensus is that the attributed author is not the real author. In the latter case I tend to simply establish them under title, as Rhesus has been. I think Pseudo-Euripides has not been established because few if any scholars refer to a “Pseudo-Euripides” (unlike, for example “Pseudo-Dionysius”). It’s a fine line. However in this case Rhesus has already been established under title, and so I wouldn’t change it. I also wouldn’t add the reference mentioned because as Richard notes if you do that you would need to establish “Pseudo-Euripides” in the NAF; but if you do that then you are declaring that that entity is the author of Rhesus and you’d need to change the authorized access point for Rhesus.

Bob

Robert L. Maxwell
Ancient Languages and Special Collections Cataloger
6728 Harold B. Lee Library
Brigham Young University
Provo, UT 84602
(801)422-5568