From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Bothmann, Robert L
Sent: Monday, November 24, 2014 4:59 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] Change in responsibility for Monthly Bulletin of Statistics

Thank you for the explanation-I now understand why it was done that way, not that I really agree with it.

From a user perspective I find that choice very confusing: if I search for Statistics and get nothing (because next gen catalogs do not use authority control) because it says Statistical, I would be very frustrated.

They are clearly using "Statistics Division" as their official and only name and have not used "Statistical" for almost 20 years. I think time has shown that it is clearly not a variant name. That and the principle of representation would seem to lend weight to the need for a new authority record.

Regardless of whether the name is a variant or needs a new record, the real problem is the bibliographic record that is closed! It's a CONSER record and needs a CONSER library to fix it. I'm happy to supply some scans if needed.

Bobby

Robert Bothmann
Metadata & Emerging Technologies Librarian
Professor, Library Services
Minnesota State University, Mankato