On 12/14/2014 1:27 PM, Dennis Rooney wrote:
> I'm surprised that lacquers as the source for the Lp have not been
> considered. It would be consistent with the late forties and would account
> for low noise and wide range heard on the Lp. As to copyright dates on the
> label, record companies put copyright dates and patent numbers on their
> labels from the turn of the century but not as the date of issue.

Lacquers are of course a possibility, and I'd thought about them. The
problem is that most LPs derived from transferred lacquers have the
occasional tick or pop from imperfections in the lacquer,
distinguishable from ticks and pops in the vinyl pressing by being
identical in the left and right channels, and there didn't seem to be
any of those. It's still a possibility, of course, but I incline more to
the suspicion that this was recorded later than the 1940s, say around
1955. More research!

By the way, 1946 ws the year Dana Records was founded, according to the
founder's Times obituary, so the copyright may well be on the contents
of the printed label.

Peace,
Paul