My apologies for being a bit late to this discussion.

Although I do not have experience with ultrasonic disc cleaning, I would
think it would be fine for vinyl and possibly shellac discs, but would be
reluctant to use it on transcription discs (aka lacquers or acetates).

Ultrasonic cleaning works on the principal of mechanical vibration to
detach contaminants from a surface.  I would expect the vibration to not
discriminate between contaminates and laminates.  In other words, if
there was even the slightest compromise in the laminate - a crack or
exposed
substrate edge, for example - the vibration could also detach the laminate
from the substrate.

I�m also curious what sort of impact ultrasonic cleaning has on the disc
labels, if the disc is fully submerged in the ultrasonic cleaner.

Again, my comments are nothing more than hypotheses.  It would be very
interesting to hear from the National Film and Sound Archive in Canberra,
Australia, about their experience with ultrasonic cleaning on disc media
and under what circumstances they deploy ultrasonic cleaning:

- what types of disc media?
- what types of contaminates?
- pre- and post-ultrasonic processes?

I�d also be curious if they follow up the ultrasonic cleaning with a
secondary rinsing process to remove or neutralize any remaining
Cetrimide on the disc and to remove any contaminates that were dislodged
but might still remain loosely on the surface of the disc.  In general,
disc cleaning is a two-step process, where rinsing is just as critical
as the cleaning for best results.  I cannot emphasize enough the
importance of proper rinsing to the final results of audio playback.

The Cetrimide (CTR) is an interesting compound.  A quick search online
indicates that it is an antimicrobial.  An ultrasonic cleaner with CTR
could be an interesting way to handle moldy media to minimize airborne
mold spores.

It also appears that Cetrimide in aqueous form is a weak base (pH < 7)
and a surfactant.  As a weak base, it might be useful for dissolving
acids (like palmitic and stearic acid formations on transcription discs).
As a surfactant, it helps dislodge dirt and grease and then suspends the
contaminants on the surface of the liquid.

I provisionally disagree with the comment:

   "that with the Monks machine some buildup may look like it is cleared
   but can reappear in time.  The sonic disc cleaner does a find job of
   permanently removing the buildup."

If the buildup is palmitic and stearic acid deposits, these are formed by
the exuding of plasticizer from the laminate.  After cleaning, there will
still be plasticizer in the laminate.  Plasticizers are, for the most part
a good thing, because they keep the laminate �plastic� (i.e. not brittle)
and as plasticizer is lost (exuded), the laminate shrinks (which causes
long-term delimitation from the substrate).  In any case, cleaning cannot,
and should not, remove all the plasticizer from the laminate.  And any
remaining plasticizer in the laminate will eventually leach out over time,
then hydrolize and reform as new palmitic and stearic acid deposits.

So whether a disc is cleaned ultrasonically or with a conventional record
cleaning machine like the Keith Monks, palmitic and stearic acid deposits
(aka �buildup�) will reform as the plasticizer continues to exude from
the laminate over time.

And whether a disc is cleaned ultrasonically or conventionally, the
cleaning process, such as rinsing, and the chemistry used are equally
important as the cleaning device.

Eric

Eric Jacobs
Principal
The Audio Archive, Inc.
1325 Howard Ave, #906
Burlingame, CA 94010

tel: 408-221-2128

Disc and Tape Audio Transfer Services and Preservation Consulting