Hi,

I am researching some of the lyrical forms in ut-Ma'in [gel] (West Kanji, Northwest Nigeria) http://www.ethnologue.com/language/gel. I am looking for resources of ethno-arts descriptions and particular descriptions of that geographical area. I am pretty handy with linguistics resources and their discovery, as that is my native topic of study. I am also familiar with the linguistics literature of the area and the languages spoken there. However, I have only found one description of poems from that area. I am wondering if anyone on this list knows of any collections of audio or video materials which cover song, dance, poetry, etc. from the regions of Northwest Nigeria, or south Niger, or Benin?  Also does anyone know of specific journals which I should investigate? Again I am familiar with the linguistic resources but Ethnomusicology is new and I am not sure who the big names or publications are in the field.

- Hugh Paterson III