It's worth watching the price for the new big Callas set on Amazon.  I
bought it yesterday for $168, and I see now that it is back up to $235.
The price seems to pop up and down.

Stay tuned with the Sound Recording Reviews in ARSC Journal regarding this
set.

I have read criticisms by Andrew Rose that some items in the new set are
not on pitch.  We'll see.

It seems incredible to me that EMI, followed now by Warner, have never seen
fit to issue one single commercial Callas recording in a hi-def format.
For years this batch of recordings was EMI's classical cash cow, but they
have never really given them the respect that was due.  I hope that
situation has been fixed, but hi-def reissues are still called for.

Tom, it would be very exciting to have some of the Mercury three channel
recordings done in hi-def transfers.  Unfortunately, the Mercury/Ricordi
Medea is not one of the diva's best recordings, being outclassed by a
number of her live recordings in that great part.

What has been sorely missing up to now are good sounding reissues of the
early Cetra Callas operas, La Gioconda and La traviata, made from original
masters, as opposed to dubbing the records (a la Naxos).  Those recordings
ought to be in the big new Warner set since Warner owns Cetra.

Also, one doesn't really need to be a Callas fanatic, Callas queen, or fan
of "The Lisbon Traviata" to love Callas' recordings.  Love of music served
up well will suffice.  Record buyers have been proving that for decades.

Best,
John Haley