Karen I think  your last paragraph encapsulates it. Nate

From: Bibliographic Framework Transition Initiative Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Karen Coyle
Sent: Friday, December 12, 2014 7:29 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [BIBFRAME] bf:event

Nate, are you mainly looking at bf:Event and bf:event as ... I'm not sure what to call it, but let's say "creation events"? So they would be music performances, or a news program or perhaps an art exhibit? I presume a conference would also be an event, if it leads to conference papers, yes?

I ask because there is other metadata that uses a different definition of event. FRBRoo has publication itself as an event, as does <indecs>. Schema.org has a broad definition of event that is just about anything taking place with a time and/or place. I could also imagine a subject scheme that considers WWII to be an "event" by some measure.

If BF is only considering creation events, then it would be good to specify that, or at least say what an event *isn't*. If bf:Event is a subclass of Work, then it seems that it must be a creation event, and cannot be an event like publication or distribution, or the date when an item was added to an archive.

kc