From: Encoded Archival Description List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of EAD automatic digest system
Sent: vrijdag 5 december 2014 6:01
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: EAD Digest - 2 Dec 2014 to 4 Dec 2014 (#2014-119)

There is 1 message totalling 34 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. EAC-CPF and xml:lang

Date:    Thu, 4 Dec 2014 13:59:19 +0000
From:    Go Sugimoto <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: EAC-CPF and xml:lang

Dear colleagues,

I have a question for EAC-CPF.
I am really new here, so sorry if my question is already discussed, or my i= nformation is not correct etc, please correct me.=20

I am in the standard group in APEx project and heard from my colleagues tha= t the new version of EAC-CPF will deploy ISO639-2 for @xml:lang. Is it true= ? If so, what is the reason behind it?

I understand that some people (including APEx) have talked about the proble= m of inconsistency between @xml:lang (IANA) and @languageCode (ISO639-2), a= nd I agree to be consistent one way or the other. But, @xml:lang is an exte= rnal attribute from W3C, and it should be IANA compliant for global interop= erability, in my opinion. If ISO639-2 is used, it allows @xml:lang=3Deng, w= hich I think strange (normally @xml:lang=3Den). I am not arguing what is ne= eded for archives (availability of languages etc), but only talking about t= he syntax for this particular question.

Can somebody clarify the latest situation of the two attributes? Thank you.

Best Regards,
Go Sugimoto
The National Archives of The Netherlands, APEx project

End of EAD Digest - 2 Dec 2014 to 4 Dec 2014 (#2014-119)