Kelley, these are excellent questions, and ones that I think do not
(yet) have ready answers.

On 1/19/15 3:42 PM, Kelley McGrath wrote:
> Since my other email was so long, I am going to post this separately.
>
> After looking at a lot of these transcriptions of responsibility
> collected by OLAC's crowdsourcing project (http://olac-annotator.org/
> ), it is clear that there are a couple things that catalogers really
> want to do that are not accommodated by MARC. Will these functions be
> supported in Bibframe? What sort of analysis is being done to identify
> gaps in MARC?
>
> 1. People want to link names and roles (and other info) to parts of
> resources. These can be:

Just a brief (and unfortunately not very helpful) pointer to the
documents of the FRBR Task Group on Aggregates, which, in my opinion,
thoroughly failed to develop a viable solution to the issue of packages
containing multiple works:

     http://www.ifla.org/events/frbr-working-group-on-aggregates

Also, Heildrun Weisenmuller has made some interesting comments in this area:

     http://www.mendeley.com/profiles/heidrun-wiesenmuller/ (see
"Working Paper" and diagrams).

This is a very hard problem, but I feel like if we don't solve it in our
current design work that we will greatly hinder the ability of libraries
to answer reasonable questions like: "Do you have a copy of X?" when X
is not a stand-alone publication.

kc

--
Karen Coyle