From: Bibliographic Framework Transition Initiative Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Bowers, Kate A.
Sent: Tuesday, January 20, 2015 12:28 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [BIBFRAME] What will things and strings look like?

One of the problems with making all relationships "URI" is that this is hugely time-consuming. Keying "Ken Smith, producer; Joe Jones, director; Emily Simms, presenter" is easy.  Finding a record for "Ken Smith" if one doesn't already exist?  Impossible level of work.  We need to be able to say things in strings because we cannot possibly make all the metadata into data.  Only for "traced" headings would this be possible, and we don't typically trace these all these pieces of data.

Kate

Kate Bowers
Collections Services Archivist for Metadata, Systems, and Standards Harvard University Archives [log in to unmask]
617.496.2713
voice: (617) 384-7787
fax: (617) 495-8011
web: http://nrs.harvard.edu/urn-3:hul.eresource:archives