“Since no one has answered, I think you all understand the importance of firmly asserting an answer to the question of whether or not a BIBFRAME description (and various parts of it) are surrogates or not.  “

Yes, it is.

I’m working on a more comprehensive response, please bear with me.

Ray

From: Bibliographic Framework Transition Initiative Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Bowers, Kate A.
Sent: Wednesday, January 14, 2015 11:44 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [BIBFRAME] Annotations in BibFrame

Since no one has answered, I think you all understand the importance of firmly asserting an answer to the question of whether or not a BIBFRAME description (and various parts of it) are surrogates or not.

Right now, the way libraries treat names: if Stephen King writes a book “Richard Bachman” can review it.  They are separate identities with their own works.

If Stephen King goes to the hospital and needs a new kidney, Richard Bachman can’t donate one to him.

Librarians need to know which Stephen King can borrow a book, and if the book by Stephen King is really in their library, and if a copy of it is really on a shelf.

Kate

Kate Bowers

Collections Services Archivist for Metadata, Systems, and Standards

Harvard University Archives

617.496.2713

voice: (617) 384-7787

fax: (617) 495-8011