Saturday, January 31, 2015, 10:30 am – 11:30 am
Location: McCormick Place West W187a

Add this event to your 2015 Midwinter schedule:
http://alamw15.ala.org/node/25851

Please join the RPLTS Interest Group for the following two presentations:

​*​*

*Old Habits Die Hard: Changing the roles in Technical Services in a Small
Academic Library*
​*​*
*Anne LePage, Technical Services Librarian, Mount Allison University
Libraries & Archives*

In 2014 and 2015, Mount Allison University Libraries & Archives will lose 5
technical services staff due to retirements and staff cuts. It is unlikely
that the library will be able to refill all positions. As a result, a new
Technical Services position has been created that focuses on cross-trained
skills to support in the library – cataloguing, acquisitions, access
services, etc. The focus will be on cataloguing skills to help support new
initiatives and enhanced workflows, especially for our current Technical
Services staff that need this skill set. This presentation will provide a
look at the new position and focus on the training plan. We hope this model
of cross-training will enhance the skills of all library staff, new and
old, and anticipate the areas of further staff development in the future.

*The Evolving Role of the Electronic Resources LibrarianMonica Moore,
Electronic Resources Librarian, Hesburgh Libraries, University of Notre
Dame*

As our collections become increasingly electronic, the acquisition and
discovery processes for our resources have become more and more complex.
This complexity is not always well understood by subject librarians,
reference librarians, or library administrators. In a sense, it is like a
“digital divide” among library faculty, which needs to be overcome if we
are all to make sound, strategic decisions on the direction of our
collection, its impact on our users, and its relevance to our institution.
This presentation will describe these challenges, but also include specific
suggestions and ideas for attendees to help them promote better
communication with other librarians at their respective institutions.

Christine Dulaney and Harriet Wintermute, RPLTS-IG 2015 Co-Chairs
Jennifer M. Eustis and Helen Goldman, RPLTS-IG 2015 Co-Vice-Chairs