"Authority" "Files" / "Control" is a good place to start your journey.

If you  are grounded in cataloging theory, especially subject cataloging, then you have most of the intellectual tools needed to address the confusion.

Svenonius's text  "The intellectual foundation of knowledge organization" is a good place to get your feet underneath you.

http://mitpress.mit.edu/books/intellectual-foundation-information-organization

Brian Vickery's papers on ontologies relate "computational" ontologies to information organization systems

http://jis.sagepub.com/content/23/4/277.short

It may or may not be helpful to look at FRBRoo, which is very solidly grounded, but which may not  be an easy read.

http://www.cidoc-crm.org/frbr_drafts.html

Publications about FRBRoo, which include some introductions and summaries are available at:
http://www.cidoc-crm.org/frbr_papers.html

This paper may be a good place to start, and even has some discussion of BIBFRAME.

Transforming FRBR into FRBRoo: Lecture delivered in Rome, Universit~{($~} La Sapienza, on May 10, 2013 by Patrick Le Bœuf, National Library of France
http://www.cidoc-crm.org/docs/Transforming%20FRBR%20into%20FRBRoo.pdf

Simon