From: Bibliographic Framework Transition Initiative Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Karen Coyle
Sent: Wednesday, January 21, 2015 8:00 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [BIBFRAME] What will things and strings look like?

That is "kind of" true although there are workarounds, some of which are already used in BIBFRAME - create a blank node that can have a URI and/or a label.

You can also mix things and strings in OWL, using something called an annotation property, but what you end up with is something that is not very usable.

This type of restriction isn't actually new, it just takes a different form. For example, if you have a date field, in most programming languages it needs to be either a structured string (yyyy-mm-dd) or a free text field, but if you mix those you cannot take advantage of the structured dates in applications. Things and strings are pretty much the same - strings aren't "application friendly".

I agree with Kelley and others that we will need a way to punt on nearly every place in our data where a URI would be desirable. The perfect world where a drop-down provides the "fill-in" precisely when you need it does not exist. It would be great to hear from anyone developing BIBFRAME input flows on how they are handling this.

kc

--
Karen Coyle
[log in to unmask] http://kcoyle.net