Karen,
I, for one cataloger, really appreciate that the German National Library (DNB) authority records include a few titles that are linked to the entity being authorized (aka 1XX). Reinhold Heuvelman said that list of titles is produced on the fly for display.

Sherman Clarke
freelance and itinerant art cataloger
Alfred, NY

On Sat, Jan 24, 2015 at 10:42 AM, Karen Coyle <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
On 1/23/15 4:18 PM, Mark Baker wrote:
but beyond that you would still need a way to
>determine which of the many "Ken Smith"s to use, if any.  Some smarts are
>needed to, for example, check that the dates are possible, that the domain
>is similar, and so forth to rank them appropriately.  Then it would need to
>present the known information about the people to the cataloguer so they can
>select one, or create a new entry.
That does seem a valuable path forward. Pull requests gratefully
accepted (or fork away!)

Wish I could fork, but ...

author names alone are pretty much useless [1]. There's no reason why additional information can't be provided to give the cataloger some grounds for selection. [2] And we should be doing the same for users.

kc

[1] http://kcoyle.blogspot.com/2007/09/name-authority-control-aka-name.html
[2] https://openlibrary.org/search/authors?q=michael+fitzgerald