Steven, Kate:

   One very confusing choice made by BIBFRAME is in the use of the term
*Instance* to describe the class "http://bibframe.org/vocab/Instance
<http://bibframe.org/vocab-list/#Instance>".
 Apart from the problematic use of a broad term from a different field to
label a new, bibliographic specific concept, the decision not to use an
existing term and concept from cataloging makes it harder for subject
matter experts to spot problems in the definition of the new concept.

The definition of the class  http://bibframe.org/vocab/Instance is a
"[r]esource *reflecting* an individual, material embodiment of the Work."
(emphasis added).

If some individual is an instance of  http://bibframe.org/vocab/Instance,
it is an instance of a description of something. Statements made about a
such an individual are statements about the description, not about the
thing described.

The definition uses the term *embodiment. *In FRBR terminology, this
embodiment is a relationship between a FRBR *Expression* and a FRBR
*Manifestation*.  Since BIBFRAME combines FRBR *Work* with FRBR *Expression*
 *, *this suggests that the thing that a http://bibframe.org/vocab/Instance is
a description of corresponds to a FRBR *Manifestation**.*

The use of the phrase *material embodiment *appears to reflect the
phrase *physical
embodiment* in the definition of *Manifestation* FRBR documentation.  These
phrases are somewhat confusing, as a *FRBR Manifestation* is not a physical
or material thing;  it is a set (more specifically, an *equivalence
class*) whose
members are individual, physical FRBR *Item*s. These *Item*s share a
prototypical set of  physical characteristics (typeface, etc), but are
different physical objects. (The editors confirm that this is the intended
reading)

If the thing an instance of  http://bibframe.org/vocab/Instance is a
description of is a FRBR Manifestation, then it describes a set of *Item*s,
not an *Item*  (even if the set only has one member).

Interpreting properties like
http://bibframe.org/vocab/otherPhysicalFormat (which
is a relationship between two instances of
http://bibframe.org/vocab/Instance , and which is defined as "Resource that
is manifested in another physical carrier.")  is left as an exercise for
the reader.  Etiology may be more helpful than Ontology. Answers may
involve the number 776.

Simon