Hi Michelle,

This certainly makes sense, but I'm transitioning our finding aids into ArchivesSpace and it doesn't seem possible to add a <unitid> at the collection level (I can add them at any of the <c> levels, but that doesn't help here).

Thanks,
Jaime

On Fri, Jan 30, 2015 at 3:45 PM, Michele R Combs <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

I would use <unitid> at the top level of your finding aid, in the archdesc/did.

<unitid type=”oclc” id=”[put number here]”/>

That’s pretty much exactly what unitid is for.  From http://www.loc.gov/ead/tglib/elements/unitid.html:  “Any alpha-numeric text string that serves as a unique reference point or control number for the described material, such as a lot number, an accession number, a classification number, or an entry number in a bibliography or catalog.”

Michele

From: Encoded Archival Description List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jaime Margalotti
Sent: Friday, January 30, 2015 10:36 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Where in record to put OCLC #?

Hi All,

I'd like to start including the OCLC numbers for our collections in the finding aids. If you are including there (or something similar), how are you encoding it?  So far, my best idea is a general <note>, but I feel like there must be a better option.  We are already using <eadid> for our own collection numbering system.

Thanks!

Jaime

--

Jaime L. Margalotti