Hi Steve (and Jamie)

I assume you're talking about the 4 fields adjacent to each other, right after the title field for the alternate ids.  We do use two of these fields, the second indicating a small collection.  The system automatically generates a dash between the two fields (i.e. MS 001-sc).  Although I haven't published anything, this is the way it appears in the browse view.

Best,

Beth

Beth Russell
Archivist / Special Collections Librarian

University of Maine, 5729 Raymond H. Fogler Library
Orono, ME 04469-5729
207.581.1676
http://www.library.umaine.edu/speccoll