From: "Lonaberger, Cathy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: February 24, 2015 at 2:56:25 PM EST
To: ARS-ALL <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: ARS Associate Administrator for Research Operations

On behalf of Dr. Chavonda Jacobs-Young:

Dear ARS Colleagues,

It is my great pleasure to announce the appointment of Dr. Simon Y. Liu to the position Associate Administrator for Research Operations.  Dr. Liu joins Dr. Steve Shafer who is Associate Administrator for Research Programs, and me, Administrator, to complete our top positions in ARS.  Dr. Liu joined ARS in 2010 as the Director of National Agricultural Library (NAL).  Prior to joining NAL, he was an Associate Director of National Library of Medicine (at the National Institutes of Health), the Acting Director of Information Management and Security at the Department of Justice, the Chief Information System Architect at the Treasury Department, and a program manager at a consulting firm for the National Aeronautics and Space Administration.  Dr. Liu holds two doctorate degrees, one in Computer Science and the other in Higher Education Administration from George Washington University, a Master of Arts degree in Government from Johns Hopkins University, a Master of Business Administration degree from the University of Maryland, a Master of Science degree in Computer Science from Indiana University, and a Bachelor of Science degree in Mathematics from Chun-Yuan University.  Dr. Liu has served as the Editor-in-Chief of an information technology magazine and an editor of two international journals.  Dr. Liu has published a book and more than 80 book chapters, journal articles, and conference papers. Dr. Liu has been an adjunct faculty of Johns Hopkins University since 1999.  I value Dr. Liu's analytical skills and drive to create transparent, data-driven decision-making processes in ARS.  He is a key driver of ARS' open data and big data programs, and he will continue working on these projects as Associate Administrator.  You will have an opportunity to learn more about Dr. Liu in an upcoming Inform & Engage Webinar to introduce him to ARS.  Please join me in congratulating Dr. Liu and thanking him in advance for the hard work and dedication he will bring to my leadership team and our initiatives.

While we recruit for a new Director of NAL, Mr. Stan Kosecki will serve as Acting Director. Mr. Kosecki has been with the NAL for more than three decades, most recently in the role of Acting Associate Director for the Data Production Division.  Currently Mr. Kosecki manages key library operations consisting of mass digitization, physical collections and services, creation of AGRICOLA index, NAL Thesaurus, acquisitions, and metadata management.  He leads development of PubAg, and was responsible for the development and expansion of DigiTop in the early 2000s.  Mr. Kosecki was the winner of the 2011 ARS Excellence in Information Award Program, and received a Masters in Library Science from the University of Maryland, College Park and Bachelor of Arts in Economics from the University of Maryland, Baltimore County.  My thanks in advance to Mr. Kosecki for taking the helm at NAL.

Best regards,

Chavonda Jacobs-Young

ARS Administrator