Thank you all for your help! You had some great suggestions and pointed me to some useful resources.

From: Metadata Object Description Schema List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Rebecca Guenther
Sent: Thursday, February 05, 2015 9:07 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MODS] typeOfResource for digitzed letter

Note that typeOfResource is repeatable. Several years ago we added an attribute usage with the value "primary". So you could repeat it and use that attribute with text, i.e.
<typeOfResource usage="primary">text</typeOfResource>
<typeOfResource>still image</typeOfResource>

Rebecca

Rebecca  Squire Guenther