Diane,

I think what Richard was expressing was that if there is a singular term that would now be plural if that is its controlled form, it would be ok to change.  For example, I've changed

374  Physician

374  Physicians $2 lcsh

I think a situation like this would be OK to change the term recorded.  On the other hand, if a record had

368  Firm

I wouldn't delete it, but I might add another 368 Business enterprises $2 lcsh

Adam Schiff

Adam L. Schiff
Principal Cataloger
University of Washington Libraries