Also, there is no way to tell the machine which term to take to add in the qualifier.  How is it to know to take a singular term over a controlled plural?  And what about the cases where the subfield $a is repeated?  Take the first one?  We don't have anything in the field to indicate a preference to the machine.

Adam Schiff

On Thu, 26 Feb 2015, Ted P Gemberling wrote:

> Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2015 17:14:37 +0000
> From: Ted P Gemberling <[log in to unmask]>
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: Best practices in updating authority records
>
> Mark, just a question. If you have already added “Musical group” to the 110, what do you gain by adding a second 368 with the singular form?
>
> Basically, my point is, if there were going to be some automatic addition of the qualifier to the IXX, as by a computer program, I could see why “Musical group” would be useful. But if you have already used your cataloger’s judgment and added it, what good does it do?
>
> Maybe I’m not understanding why a matching between the IXX and a 3XX is important. Is there ever going to be a day when a computer recognizes that there are two “Iron Boys” and adds “musical group” to one of them? As long as this is done by cataloger’s judgment, there is no reason for it not to be in established form.
>
> Thanks,
> Ted Gemberling
> UAB Lister Hill Library

Adam L. Schiff