Here's a fast track revision that was part of the February 2015 update to the RDA Toolkit (found on page 7 of http://www.rda-jsc.org/docs/6JSC-Sec-14.pdf).  The second sentence is the new one added to this instruction:

11.7.1.4

Record the type of corporate body in a language preferred by the agency creating the data. Select terms from a standard list of names of types of corporate body, if available. If there is no equivalent term for the type of corporate body in a language preferred by the agency, or in case of doubt, record the type of corporate body in the official language of the corporate body.

This is the first time I think in RDA that it refers to a controlled list of terms to be recorded as an attribute, other than the instructions on recording language of a person/family/corporate body or expression, and the script(s) used to express the language content (6.11.1.3, 9.14.1.3, 10.8.1.3, 11.8.1.3, and 7.13.2.3).  I don't know why type of corporate body gets this additional instruction to use a standard list of terms but not profession/occupation and field of activity.

Adam

On Thu, 26 Feb 2015, Stephen Hearn wrote:

> [...]
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: Best practices in updating authority records
>
> Maybe I'm overreading it, but RDA does specify "Profession or Occupation"
> as a type of term appropriate for distinguishing one person from another.
> To me, this implies an expectation, or at least an option, that the term
> will be categorized as indicating a profession or occupation.  MARC
> authorities accommodate that by providing the 374 field where the RDA
> category is expressed in the tag value.  I can imagine other ways a term
> could be categorized, including a term added only to an authorized access
> point; and but MARC is what we use.  I agree that RDA does not require this
> kind of categorization; but it does encourage us to make it possble. If RDA
> did not intend to distinguish different qualifying information by
> categories, then I'm not sure why the 3XX "RDA fields" were added to the
> authority format.
>
> What is missing from RDA itself is any instruction to use controlled
> vocabularies to express the attributes of persons.  That comes from PCC.
> I'm all for using controlled vocabularies; but I can also see a case for
> using the 374 to categorize an uncontrolled term which appears in a 100 $c.
>
> Stephen
>
> On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 2:02 PM, Adam L. Schiff <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 26 Feb 2015, Kevin M Randall wrote:
>>
>>  And if we want to use a controlled vocabulary, the only agreed-upon one
>>> for the PCC is LCSH.
>>>

>> On this, I must respectfully but forcefully disagree, Kevin.  The DCM Z1
>> does not say we should use LCSH.  For example for field 374 it says:
>> "Prefer controlled vocabulary, such as LCSH or Me
>> SH, recording the source in subfield $2."  For 372 it says: "When
>> recording a term indicating the field, prefer controlled vocabulary, such
>> as LCSH or MeSH, recording the source in subfield $2."  For 368 it says:
>> "Prefer controlled vocabulary for terms, recording the source in subfield
>> $2."
>>
>> LCSH happens to be the easiest controlled vocabulary for most of us to
>> use, because it is easy to search in the utilities, and it is quite
>> familiar since many of us use it for assigning subject headings.  But it is
>> not a mandated vocabulary to use and certainly not the only agreed-upon one
>> for PCC.
>>
>> Adam
>>

>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> Adam L. Schiff
>> Principal Cataloger
>> University of Washington Libraries
>> Box 352900
>> Seattle, WA 98195-2900
>> (206) 543-8409
>> (206) 685-8782 fax
>> http://faculty.washington.edu/~aschiff
>>

> --
> Stephen Hearn, Metadata Strategist
> Data Management & Access, University Libraries