Dear PCCLIST readers,

Thanks for those of you who've responded so far. On reading John Hostage's comments, I sighed and picked up the next book I have to copy-catalog.  Then I smiled!

Below for your convenience is the bib record for that book as found in LC's catalog.  Please note:
1. Absence of field 240
2. Presence of field 700 for the work.
3. Presence of field 700 for the expression.

I have corrected a couple of errors in the OCLC master (841198087):
1.  Deleted field 250 - the statement as recorded appears only in the CIP, not on the item. (My guess is that the publisher, when filling out the form, simply entered the word "First" in the place for the edition statement.  But I'm guessing!)
2.  Edited field 830 - there's a SAR for it, qualified by a range of years, and the publisher's web site (http://www.marquette.edu/mupress/RTTmain.shtml) lists both the book in hand and the one on which the SAR was based.

I left uncorrected the second indicators in the 700 field.  I think the one for the work should be blank.  And  I added |e author to field 100, preceded by a comma, and followed by a period, in accordance with-- I'm not sure what, to my recollection I've only ever found examples, not instructions.   As I said elsewhere, I see no point whatsoever in perpetuating such punctuation.

Back to the main point and my reason for this immediate response.  I believe that I've found a record, contributed by LC, which is prepared in accordance with what I said previously, namely, use of field 700 rather than 240.

But I'm open to correction, as always.  Please tell me how the situation with this record differs from the one in my contribtion to PCCLIST yesterday.

Sincerely - Ian

Ian Fairclough
Cataloging and Metadata Services Librarian George Mason University
703-993-2938

LCCN  2013004063
100	1_	 |a OecolampadIus, Johann,  |d 1482-1531.
245	13	 |a An exposition of Genesis /  |c Iohannes OecolampadIus ; Translated & with an Introduction by Mickey Mattox.
250	__	 |a First [edition].
490	0_	 |a Reformation texts with translation ;  |v no. 13
630	00	 |a Bible.  |p Genesis I-III  |v Commentaries  |v Early works to 1800.
700	1_	 |a Mattox, Mickey Leland,  |d 1956-  |e Translator.
700	12	 |a OecolampadIus, Johann,  |d 1482-1531.  |t In Genesim enarratio.  |k Selections.
700	12	 |a Oecolampadius, Johann,  |d 1482-1531.  |t In Genesim enarratio.  |k Selections.  |l English.