From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Ehlert, Mark K.
Sent: Thursday, February 26, 2015 10:04 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] Best practices in updating authority records

From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Moore, Richard

I’m not sure what the function of uncontrolled terms in these fields would be.

In the work I do, to ascribe meaning to a term in the 1xx.

110 2- Iron Boy (Musical group)

368 -- Musical groups $2 lcsh

368 -- Musical group

The "Musical group" in the 110 matches the 368 "Musical group."  The 368 is an RDA other attribute of a corporate body.  Therefore, the parenthetical in the 110 is an RDA other attribute of the body.  Backwards thinking, but it's one way of getting some kind of semantic substance out of a qualifier, especially one that isn't separately subfield-ed.

--

Mark K. Ehlert                 O'Shaughnessy-Frey Library
Cataloging and Metadata        University of St. Thomas

  Librarian                    2115 Summit Avenue

Phone: 651-962-5488            St. Paul, MN 55105

<http://www.stthomas.edu/libraries/>

Verona," Act I, Scene iii