I can see two sides to this.

There's a basic discrepancy between text in 3XX authority fields meant to
categorize the entity in relation to a controlled vocabulary and text meant
for use as a gramatically appropriate qualifier added to the authorized
access point. PCC has favored the former use, which can entail the use of
plural terms and limited term choice to match a controlled vocabulary.  RDA
favors the latter, preferring to enter 3XX terms as they would appear in a
qualifier. The same text matching logic which drives the use of the
controlled term also drives the need to match the uncategorized qualifier
text in 100 $c with the text in a 374 (or some other sematically
categorized field).  Though I'm not sure the 368 "other designation" field
adds much semantic specificity to a term, the other 3XX fields do; e.g.,
"374 $a Professor" indicates that the possible 100 $c term is for an
occupation or profession.  It might also follow personal usage more closely
than the authorized category term, e.g., "Professor" rather than "374 $a
College teachers $2 lcsh".

I agree that the notion that systems would be able to select and add
qualifiers to a 1XX automatically is dubious; but being able to categorize
terms in $c represents a different use case, and one not covered by the use
of controlled vocabulary only. I also agree that controlled vocabulary
terms have more general purpose uses than terms tailored to individual
cases. If we have to choose between these two practices, then I'd side with
using controlled vocabularies. But do we have to choose?  Given that the
data element is potentially supporting to two different purposes, maybe we
should be more tolerant of parallel 3XX fields.

Stephen

Stephen Hearn, Metadata Strategist
University of Minnesota
160 Wilson Library