I can see two sides to this.

There's a basic discrepancy between text in 3XX authority fields meant to categorize the entity in relation to a controlled vocabulary and text meant for use as a gramatically appropriate qualifier added to the authorized access point. PCC has favored the former use, which can entail the use of plural terms and limited term choice to match a controlled vocabulary.  RDA favors the latter, preferring to enter 3XX terms as they would appear in a qualifier. The same text matching logic which drives the use of the controlled term also drives the need to match the uncategorized qualifier text in 100 $c with the text in a 374 (or some other sematically categorized field).  Though I'm not sure the 368 "other designation" field adds much semantic specificity to a term, the other 3XX fields do; e.g., "374 $a Professor" indicates that the possible 100 $c term is for an occupation or profession.  It might also follow personal usage more closely than the authorized category term, e.g., "Professor" rather than "374 $a College teachers $2 lcsh".

I agree that the notion that systems would be able to select and add qualifiers to a 1XX automatically is dubious; but being able to categorize terms in $c represents a different use case, and one not covered by the use of controlled vocabulary only. I also agree that controlled vocabulary terms have more general purpose uses than terms tailored to individual cases. If we have to choose between these two practices, then I'd side with using controlled vocabularies. But do we have to choose?  Given that the data element is potentially supporting to two different purposes, maybe we should be more tolerant of parallel 3XX fields.

Stephen

On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 11:32 AM, Adam L. Schiff <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Also, there is no way to tell the machine which term to take to add in the qualifier.  How is it to know to take a singular term over a controlled plural?  And what about the cases where the subfield $a is repeated?  Take the first one?  We don't have anything in the field to indicate a preference to the machine.

Adam Schiff

On Thu, 26 Feb 2015, Ted P Gemberling wrote:

Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2015 17:14:37 +0000
From: Ted P Gemberling <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Best practices in updating authority records

Mark, just a question. If you have already added “Musical group” to the 110, what do you gain by adding a second 368 with the singular form?

Basically, my point is, if there were going to be some automatic addition of the qualifier to the IXX, as by a computer program, I could see why “Musical group” would be useful. But if you have already used your cataloger’s judgment and added it, what good does it do?

Maybe I’m not understanding why a matching between the IXX and a 3XX is important. Is there ever going to be a day when a computer recognizes that there are two “Iron Boys” and adds “musical group” to one of them? As long as this is done by cataloger’s judgment, there is no reason for it not to be in established form.

Thanks,
Ted Gemberling
UAB Lister Hill Library